Sunday, March 4, 2012

You Need Oxygen

It is very clear to me, especially during a monthly pedicure or shopping treat, that I must take care of myself if I expect to care for others.  This is the HARDEST idea to convey to  fellow "people pleasers" like myself.  I was reading one of my RSS feeds and discovered a great analogy. I am including an excerpt from the article because I can't say it any better:

"Taking time for ourselves to engage in nourishing activities is so important. I often use the example of an oxygen mask on an airplane. It quickly becomes indicative of the extent of the lack of self-care when I ask clients about the instructions given when oxygen masks drop in case of an emergency. When the pattern of giving to the detriment of themselves is extreme, clients often state that they are to put on the other person’s mask before their own. Clearly, these are not the instructions given, but it is how some of us act in our own lives. In reality, we are told to put our own masks on first to enable us to help others. This becomes a powerful example of how infrequently we put our proverbial masks on by engaging in self-care that enables us to have enough balance in our lives to maintain the emotional resources to help others.

I think this example is effective because it opens the discussion of how failing to engage in self-care can be harmful to us over time. A continued pattern of having too much responsibility, inadequate support, and imbalance in our lives can easily lead to burnout, chronic stress, anxiety, and depression. Chronic stress and anxiety can also lead to increased risk of illness, heart problems, and even death. Helping people recognize the serious nature of this issue is a great first step in gaining balance."

GoodTherapy.org, What Have I Done for Me Lately?, February 6th, 2012, By Michelle Lewis, LCSW, Body-Mind Psychotherapy Topic Expert Contributor



You can read the full article Here


No comments:

Post a Comment