Wednesday, November 10, 2010

You Should've Called



I went out of town this weekend to Gainesville, FL to support an organization very close to my heart.  During my time there, I realized just how dependent we are on our smartphones and especially on social networks.  Case in point:  I arrived at my destination on Sunday afternoon, and instead of calling or walking upstairs to greet a person, I texted her.  Within 5 minutes she was downstairs and in my room.  We conversed like two normal people from that point forward.

Why couldn't I just call?  I can tell myself that I didn't want to disturb her, or that it was just easier to text.  However, after pondering this action of texting, I don't really believe myself.

I spent most of my day yesterday updating my personal facebook page in celebration of a milestone in the organization, yet I did not actually talk face to face with more than five people about it.

There is a fantastic website Half Of Us that addresses many of the issues facing our youth (by this I mean from your adolescence through early adulthood).  I found that video about social media and how it is impacting college students.  Since my trip was to Gainesville, FL home of the University of Florida, I felt that it fit in with this post.

This video brings a whole new perspective to the table, or I guess it is safe to say the message board or mini-feed.  These media oultets are making a huge impact on the mental health of our future leaders.  There is such a wide range of emotions associated with the use of these mediums leading to depression, anxiety, and a lot of times euphoria.

  • How did you feel when you realized you had the most recent text message?
  • How many times a day do you update your facebook, and are the statuses positive or negative?
  • What is the real reason behind not calling and sending your next text?


No comments:

Post a Comment