Monday, November 1, 2010

The Giving Season

November marks the beginning of the giving season.  As the stores transform their color scheme to red, greens, silvers, and golds, we tend to focus on the impending shopping season.  We can all agree that the breast cancer foundations do an amazing job of publicizing awareness of their cause, and many people do their "good deed" by contributing to a cause that everyone recognizes, or that is close to their heart. 

November also serves as a month for awareness and on the eve of the 2010 holiday season, it might be nice to take a second to look at how you can impact these causes as well.  Who knows, you may even find a way to give to a cause while you try to think of the perfect gift for someone else.

Check out this site:

November Awareness

Why do we feel the need to give anyway?  I can speak for myself, and possibly others, when I say that giving of yourself is a great way to set an example for the change you want to see in the world.  Whether it is your time, money, etc. giving something will impact your environment.

Something I want you to think about comes from the tv sitcom "Friends".  Joey claimed one episode to Phoebe that there were "no selfless good deeds".  That phrase can mean many things to many people.  I tend to view myself as a selfish person with wants and needs for the world that I live in.  I am not trying to change the world that I live in to only make it better for you, because who says that you would agree that it is better?  I am working to foster the change that I want to see happen, so that I can nurture my Sense of Self, and foster positive changes in my community.

My foundation will work to serve my interests, just as your contributions this month will work to serve yours.  Poof!  Change.  So yes, there are no such things as "selfless good deeds" because if their were, nothing good would come of it. 

Some might argue that not everyone cares enough to contribute to anything, and to those individuals who cant find it within themselves to foster change for their world, I invite them to begin or continue on their journey to nurture their Sense of Self.  At the end of the day we are only as good as our environment will allow us to be, and if you want better you must do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment