Thursday, October 21, 2010

I Did It On Purpose!

I figured that I would update before the weekend because I am returning to Gainesville, FL to attend some events and have a good ol' fashioned time.  I am an active member of a sorority, and some very important changes will be occurring this weekend.

Upon working to spread the word about these events and recruit more women to participate, I became frustrated with the different commitment levels amongst the membership.  Now, granted I am a "diamond in the ruff", a member who is far more involved than most alumnae members ever wanted to be.  However, I think that fact more than fits me as a person.  I am a driven person who more often than not becomes the commitments that I have made.

We all make promises and vow our loyalty to various things in our lives.  What within us changes that impacts our level of involvement?  At one time or another these commitments were our identity: marriage, clubs, sports, politics, etc...

I think it equates itself to a failing marriage or a losing season.  Something within you changed, your priorities changed, your life circumstance changed.  Whatever it was, it happened, and now what?  Do you yearn  for something to replace it?  Are you relieved that you no longer have to "deal with it"?  Whatever the reason for leaving, and the whatever the result of that change, have you taken the time to fulfill your life in another way?

We are loyal to the things in life that nurture us, that flatter us, and more importantly give us a purpose.  My involvement with the sorority gives me purpose.  I want to serve as a positive role model for those young women as they navigate young adulthood.  I want to serve as their advocate when the world challenges them.  I want to foster their personal growth and help them to develop a healthy Sense of Self.

Identifying your purpose serves as a motivator for you to become involved in the world, in our society, and on your own journey to discover your Sense of Self.  If you don't feel like you have a purpose in your current life, I would invite you to really take a moment to reflect on the best times and worst times in your life.  Where were you?  What were you doing and who was there?  Did the experience have a positive or negative impact on you, and what would you have done differently to create the most ideal result?

Find your passion,  or for some the place where you can just simply feel safe with yourself.  Keep this place sacred for you and you alone in order to work on finding a genuine purpose, one that you can continue to remain loyal to, one that give just as much back to you as you give to it.  Find wellness.  Find Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment