Sunday, July 10, 2011

You Aren't What You Eat Part 2...or Are You?

Ok, so how are we feeling now?  What do the food choices that you make really say about you and where you are mentally?

Many with eating disorders also suffer from anxiety, depression, PTSD, among others.  The desire to reduce the anxiety by being in control will continue the cycle of the eating disorder.  It was also cause the person to withdraw in shame and elicit the negative thoughts of guilt and loss of control after the episode is over.  Thus beginning the cycle all over again in the case of many binge eaters or bulimics.  This withdrawal and cycle will also nurture the depression.  As you can see, all of the co-occurring disorders are intertwined.


This is a fantastic post on Goodtherapy.org regarding self-care.
http://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/self-care-enhance-relationship/

Though we may not all fit each exact terms of that article, many of us can find something in there that mimics our thoughts and/or behavior.  Relate them to food and you can see how you are using your diet to control you mind.  It isn't working though in the long term.

Why are we so hard on ourselves?  There are thousands of answers to this, but only one person can really change it.  Think about your sense of self and what your next meal is telling you.  This evening I had a steak with cheese and spinach.  A perfect little bundle of happiness.  I knew I needed the protein and I did not cut off the fat.  Why?  Simply because I do not make the effort to cut all of the fat out of my life so to speak, so why not enjoy the fat that makes my meals so flavorful?  I also had a baked sweet potato.  Nothing is more satisfying than eating your comfort food of the moment.  I don't even have to eat it in moderation because it is a super vegetable! The satisfaction and energy I feel after that side dish, is what I strive for in my life. 

 So am I what I eat?  I would like to think so because my food choices at this point in my life really do reflect what I want for my life.  Perhaps what we are, are the healthy or disordered eating patterns.  Whether you are the orthorexic or the average American dieter, you are still left with the same results tat you began with.  I say, if the carrot won't make you happy, then just eat the freaking brownie.   Happiness  = endorphins that give you energy, thus burning the calories you consumed from the brownie.  Everyone wins, and you are as sweet as the chocolatey goodness you consumed, you actually become what you eat.



No comments:

Post a Comment