Sunday, May 22, 2011

It's been a while...

While it may seem as though I have neglected my blog, and maybe I have--ok I have, I find it necessary to at least touch upon why.

Attention to personal mental health and creating your world.

I find that in my field of counseling and public service that professionals often forget why exactly they chose this path.  And though most will give you the generic answer" because I want to help people", the truth is that most do it to feel better about themselves, and create a life they find socially acceptable and admirable.

In my case, I do really want to impact the mental health of other people in a useful way--not negatively or positively--I just want to leave them with another perspective, a different choice, or a new circumstance to explore.  I strongly feel though that I am of no use to you if I can not provide those very things to myself.

The past month has brought many changes to my life personally, and I consciously took the time I needed to address my emotions, my choices, and my plans.  And here I am, back and ready to serve.

So I will just leave this, take the time to explore your choice to put others before yourself.  Can you give them your best if you have not given yourself the opportunity to be your best for them?  How might your self care impact how you care for others?  Can you really give everything you inherently want to give, or are you only tasting what could be if you could only "get it together"?



No comments:

Post a Comment